Re: Policy for init.d scripts is not LSB compilant

On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 17:26, Joey Hess wrote:

> David Pashley wrote:
> > I would like to suggest the following changes to Policy to make it more
> > in line with LSB 1.1. Most text is taken from:
>
> If you want this to happen you should submit a proposal bug report so it
> doesn't get lost. Policy is frozen for woody right now.

Which package should it be submitted against? base, general or project?

> > 	Each LSB-compliant init.d script must source the file
> > 	/lib/lsb/init-functions. This file must cause the following shell
> > 	script commands to be defined. This can be done either by adding a
> > 	directory to the PATH variable which defines these commands, or by
> > 	defining sh aliases. While the distribution-provided aliases may
> > 	choose to use bash extensions (at the distribution's option), the 	LSB
> > init.d files themselves should only depend in /bin/sh features 	as
> > defined by POSIX.2.
> >
> > 		start_daemon [-f] [-n nicelevel] pathname [args]
>
> I can see no reason why we would want debian init.d scripts to adopt
> this red-hat like mess. To support the lsb we have to make
> /lib/lsb/init-functions available in a lsb package, but that doesn't
> mean we have to use it.

Sorry, just quoted LSB and didn't see the line about scripts must source
the functions. Agreed about not having to use them.  Remove this section
from my proposal.

This could be a wrapper around start-stop-daemon. Note LSB also requires
a install_initd command, which could probably be a wrapper around
update-rc.d,but we don't have to use it. we could keep using
update-rc.d. We can discuss that part of LSB after we have finished
discussing this part.

--
David Pashley
david@davidpashley.com