dict-client virtual package name

     On 08 Dec 2001 I filed bug#122996 against debian-policy proposing
that dict-client be added to the "Authoritative List of Virtual
Package Names", and posted a message to debian-devel proposing this
virtual package name.

     On Sun, 9 Dec 2001 Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net>
questioned the purpose of this and asked "What will depend on
"dict-client"? What is the standard interface provided by such a
client?"

     I responded:

>      The various dictionary packages (dict-*) and dict servers (dictd
> and serpento) would recommend (in English = Suggest in dselectspeak)
> dict-client.  dict and the other dict clients would provide
> dict-client.  The standard interface is the DICT protocol, specified
> by RFC2229.

     On Sun, 9 Dec 2001 Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk>
commented:

> I thing virtual package dict-server would not be bad too
> (though currently there are only two of them in debian,
> dictd and serpento)

     There were no other objections or substantive comments.  I
consider this proposal has been accepted, and am re-titling bug#122996
accordingly.  I propose to incorporate Radovan's suggestion and add
dict-server to the list.

     Please add the following to the Miscellaneous section of the
list:

dict-client   Any package that provides a dict client using the DICT
              protocol, as specified by RFC2229.

dict-server   Any package that provides a dict server using the DICT
              protocol, as specified by RFC2229.

Bob
--
   _