Virtual package httpd-cgi.

Hi everyone...

[ This mail goes to all maintainers of HTTP server Debian packages which
  currently provide 'httpd'... (CC'ing debian-policy, please send your
  replies there, too, so that the discussion is recorded) ]

I have proposed to debian-devel (and lately also to debian-policy) to
introduce a new virtual package 'httpd-cgi'...

There are several Debian packages which contain CGI scripts which
depend on (or suggest etc.) 'httpd', but not all HTTP servers actually
have CGI support, so there's a problem...

My suggested solution is to add a new virtual package called 'httpd-cgi'
which should be provided by all HTTP servers which support CGI.
Additionally these servers should continue to also provide 'httpd'.

If that is done, every package which needs a HTTP server with CGI
support can safely depend on 'httpd-cgi', those which don't care whether
the webserver they use has CGI support or not, can continue depending on
'httpd', i.e. there are no changed required...

Please tell me your opinion about this proposal and point out any errors
or problems you might find...

If you all agree with this solution, please upload a new package which
provides the new 'httpd-cgi'...
As soon as all/most HTTP servers in Debian provide 'httpd-cgi', I'll
file bug-reports against all packages which currently depend on 'httpd'
but should rather depend on 'httpd-cgi'...

TIA, Uwe.
--
:------------------ Uwe Hermann <uh1763@hermann-uwe.de> ------------------:
| http://htsserver.sourceforge.net          -- Holsham Traders            |