Re: TrueType fonts, Type1 fonts, X, and the FHS

Hi,
sorry for this slow responce.

At Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:23:01 -0500,
Branden Robinson wrote:

> 1) Fonts should go in an FHS-compatible location.  This probably means
> /usr/share/fonts, which some packages already use.

agreed.

> 2) /usr/share/fonts should probably be broken into subdirectories
> indicating the file format of the font.  E.g.:
>    /usr/share/fonts/truetype
>    /usr/share/fonts/type1
> Again, some packages already do this.

agreed.

> 3) Per FHS, only static data should go into /usr/share.  This is not an
> appropriate place for fonts.dir files, because these can change.  See
> the Debian X Font policy.

agreed.

> 4) A subdirectory of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts should be created and used
> in the short run to make these fonts accessible to font rasterizers for
> the X Window System.  These directories should not contain fonts
> themselves, but should contain symlinks on a per-file basis to, e.g.,
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/font.ttf

agreed.

> 5) Again, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType should NOT be a symlink to
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype.

understood.

> 6) In the long run, /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts should become a symlink into
> /var/lib, because the fonts.* are updated on font package installation
> and removal.

It sounds really nice proposal in my opinion.

> As a practical matter, I propose:
>
> 1) To add /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType to dexconf-generated
> XF86Config{,-4} files, to /etc/X11/fs/config, and to /etc/X11/XftConfig;
> 2) That maintainers of packages containing Type1, and TrueType fonts:
> 	A) install them to /usr/share/fonts/{truetype,type1,type3} as
> 	appropriate;
> 	B) provide fonts.scale files per existing Debian X Font Policy;
> 	C) symlink each individual font file (.pfa, .pfb, .afm, .ttf,
> 	etc.) from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/{Type1,TrueType} to
> 	/usr/share/fonts/{truetype,type1};
> 	D) invoke update-fonts-{alias,scale,dir} as prescribed in
> 	existing Debian Policy.

Please tell me your idea to solve the problem that two types of fonts.scale
file are needed for one TrueType font: one for freetype backend and the other
for xtt backend.

If the user choses freetype for the backend, all fonts.scale files for
installed TrueType fonts must be ones for freetype backend.
If the user changes the backend to xtt, all fonts.scale files must be
replaced with ones for xtt backend.

The format of fonts.scale is different between xtt and freetype backend,
so things become difficult.

Currently some CJK TrueType fonts make use of defoma to generate fonts.scale
file for the selected backend.

Thanks,

	hirot