Re: Distribution comparison project

E L Tonkin (2001-07-06 14:56:54 +0100) :

> It was decided following a recent FSF(E) discussion to produce a list of
> some of the major GNU/Linux distributions. This list is intended to
> compare the distributions with respect to their position on free software
> and how that gets translated into the distribution itself. This decision
> was made following Caldera's recent changes in policy on the subject of
> licensing.

[...]

> So here's the plan: each of the major distributions volunteers somebody to
> represent them on this subject and get in touch with us. We're setting up
> a mailing list to subscribe these volunteers to - it'll be private or at
> least unadvertised since, whilst we appreciate all the help we can get, we
> don't want to drown in pointless discussions (RMS suggested that).

I would gladly recognise that I'm much more of a "Debian maintainer"
than a "Debian developer", and thus I might not be very legitimate to
answer some of the questions.  Yet I hereby volunteer to be
volunteered as described above.  It will give me a good occasion to
look into the innards of Debian a bit more than I have until now.

  I'm afraid I cannot GPG-sign this message (laptop, see signature),
but if need be I can repost it in a few days when back home.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Currently in Bordeaux for the Debian Conference One and the second
Libre Software Meeting.