Re: Tasks policy

On 08-May-01, 08:55 (CDT), Sam Hartman <hartmans@mit.edu> wrote:
>     Anthony> Remember: the point of tasks is to make the initial
>     Anthony> install simpler, so that people can get started on Debian
>     Anthony> without having to wade through dselect.
>
> Yes, that was the original point of tasks.  However, tasks are also
> used today by people who want to get a set of software installed after
> the initial install.

If the "set of software" is a task, then they can run tasksel.

If the "set of software" is just a logical grouping of related packages
(emacs, say, or the roxen stuff) then a simple meta package can do the
job. Perhaps part of the tasks policy proposal should be to specify
an alternative mechanism/naming standard for such groupings (and
explain why they are not "tasks". Something like appending "-group"
(e.g. emacs-group, roxen-group), so that one can do "apt-cache search
'-group'" to find all those meta packages.

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read