Re: Definition of alphanumeric?

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 12:48:47PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:
>
>  >> I know it is bad form replying to oneself, but, after some
>  >> sleep,  I realize that the provenance of CURDIR being a convenience
>  >> variable set by GNU make is as valid as anything POSIX says.
>
>  Branden> What?  Manoj, prone to knee-jerk conservativism?  Never.
>
> 	I was not aware that PWD was arch conservatism and CURDIR was
>  avante-garde neo-programming.

I wasn't either, but apparently you were:

>>         So, what is the provenance of this CURDIR variable? Has it
>> been blessed by POSIX? indeed not. However, I see that both $PWD and
>> the pwd utility are sanctioned by POSIX; so for maximal portability
>> scripts should *NOT* use  CURDIR, the should either use PWD, or call
>> pwd themselves, like the example did.

>  Either you have a very strange system of determining novelty, or, more
>  likely, you have a knee jerk mechanism of ``Brand Manoj with
>  conservatism'' without really thinking about the issue.

Either you are prone to presenting false alternatives, or once again your
sense of humor is too subtle for me...

--
G. Branden Robinson             |     To stay young requires unceasing
Debian GNU/Linux                |     cultivation of the ability to unlearn