Re: Frozen distribution?

    >> 1. Create frozen between testing and unstable, initially as a
    >> copy of testing.  2. Create frozen between testing and
    >> unstable, initially as a copy of unstable.

    Julian> Surely 2 defeats the whole purpose of testing?  My

I think it depends on the policy used to move frozen --> testing.

For 1, you could use (for instance):

unstable --> frozen:  must be done manually
frozen   --> testing: using same procedure as currently used for
                      unstable-->testing?

For 2,

unstable --> frozen:  ?
frozen   --> testing: must be done manually

    Julian> question was: will there be a frozen or not during the
    Julian> freeze:

    Julian> Possibility 1: We freeze testing and allow it to
    Julian> stabilise, allowing upgraded packages into testing only if
    Julian> they are deemed necessary by the release manager, then we
    Julian> release testing as the new stable.  Finally, after the
    Julian> release, we start allowing the unstable -> testing flow
    Julian> again.

    Julian> Possibility 2: Your possibility 1, so that there are four
    Julian> distributions during the freeze; testing continues to
    Julian> carefully follow unstable, and frozen is, well ... frozen.

What is the benefit of this new frozen stage, instead of just freezing
the testing stage?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>