Re: FHS, netscape and Dan Bernstein

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Raul Miller wrote:

> Please see: http://cr.yp.to/distributors.html

The holes in that page are so large you could drive fleets of roadtrains
through them.  I refer specifically to "you own that copy of the software",
which implies that you own that copy, and are free to do what you want with
it (imagine a car compant saying "you own this car, but you can only drive
it on these roads").  Also, the bit talking about how you may distribute it
if it's in the same layout as what a user would get if they installed it
themselves.  If I install the program with the lovely 'cp' command, it may
just end up in a different spot... hmm...

Basically, Bernstein is a troll, and has no idea about how to play well with
other programs / people's ideas.

> For inclusion in non-free, which is more significant: access to source
> code or 100% FHS compliance?

Since not everything in non-free has source anyway, I'd vote for FHS
compliance.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer
mjp16@uow.edu.au