Re: Question about native packages

Hi,

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:

> [...]
> 1. Are you likely to do small revisions that only affect the debian/
>    subdir, and the source package is big ?
>
>    -> if yes, choose non-native, because you'll not need to reupload
>       the .orig.tar.gz file, just the diff, dsc and changes file.

Currently, it's very unlikely that I release a debian-only update of
xine. There's a new upstream version every two weeks (at maximum,
averagely every week). Even if I would make a "debian only" change a few
hours after a normal release, there are typically a few other changes in
CVS...

> 2. Are you likely to do small revisions that only affect the debian/
>    subdir, and the source package is small ?
> [...]

What exactly is "small"? xine source tarball is about 800K. It started
with some 350K in November 2000...

> Native is best choosen for packages which are not expected to be used
> outside of Debian, btw. If I were xine's upstream, I'd package it as
> non-native.  The non-native format is more flexible.

I'd add one additional scenario: Native is a good option for highly
unstable software. (Here, "Unstable" refers to update frequency, not
number of crashes.)

Regards,
	Siggi