Re: Directing Debian users to use project BTSes - should we?

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 07:45:00PM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> I just saw something like this in a control file:

>  XXX has its own BTS at http://XXX/.  If you find an upstream problem
>  (not packaging problem!!), please use it instead of Debian BTS.

> 'reportbug -b kde konqueror').  But unless the current Debian package
> is in sync with upstream (which it usually won't be in stable) I can
> see a lot of already-fixed-in-their-version bugs getting dumped on
> upstream developers.

I've seen this happen even without that sort of message - users wind up
getting flamed for asking about obsolete versions of software when they
find the upstream support channels and ask about problems with stable.
Given that this sort of message tends to occur in packates that are
under rapid upstream developement this sort of problem would seem quite
likely.

> Anyway, I was wondering if this is something we want to discourage in
> policy, or if I'm just not thinking the same way as most maintainers
> (i.e. my premises are flawed).

I'd certainly not like to see this sort of message in stable.  If we
ship it we should be willing to take responsibility for it.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/