Re: [PROPOSAL] Allowing crypto in the main archive

 Anthony> On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 08:38:37PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> Oh, in case you are wondering, I shall formally object to any
 >> such scheme to pull any more software off master that we are not
 >> constrained to do because of silly parochial laws of the locale master
 >> is hosted in.

 Anthony> Sure, that makes sense.

 Anthony> Would you also object to adding a header to the Packages files something
 Anthony> like:

 Anthony> 	Package: xine-decss
 Anthony> 	Section: non-US/utils
 Anthony> 	Distribution-Hint: non-US, non-UK

 Anthony> 	Package: doom
 Anthony> 	Section: games
 Anthony> 	Distribution-Hint: non-DE

 Anthony> ? If so, on what grounds, and why don't they equally apply to the
 Anthony> "Section: non-US" header?

	On the grounds that we have to track all the laws in these
 countries, and that we are now making a determination whether the
 software is legal to distribute in multiple countries, as opposed to
 one: the country master lives in.

	We can probably keep up to date with the laws of two
 countries: the place where master lives, and the place where
 non-master lives (non-{country where master physically resides}). Add
 the 150+ countries that that proposal opens up, and we can never be
 sure of keeping up to date. And somewhere, the fact we assert
 something is legal (or illegal) shall land us into hot water for
 making and incorrect, or outdated, statement.  A statement that is of
 dubious value to our users in the first place, unless we hire
 batteries of lawyers in every country for all these packages.  The
 utility is further reduced unless we can provide similar statements
 for the whole distribution (BTW, is a package showing a woman with
 her face uncovered legal in all countries? Which countries is it not
 legal in?)

	The non-US header does not mean it is not OK to distribute in
 the US necessarily. It means it can't be exported out of the US. We
 are not saying it is OK to use anywhere else, or that it is not OK to
 use in the US.

	It is by no means legal advice. I always could, under US laws,
 download non-patented crypto into the US, and sell it to another US
 citizen; so non-US did not mean not OK to use in the US
 (non-US/non-free fitted that better).

	We make two determinations:
 a) if the package meets the DFSG
 b) Whether it is OK to put it on master.

	Indeed, we would not like to do this either, but we have to
 only put on master software that is legal in the country master lives
 in. And then we find another country where those packages are legal
 to distribute, and we are done.

	You are proposing we try and see if things are legal in,
 say. Latvia. And that we track the laws of multiple countries. And
 that, somehow, the packager is not liable for any mistakes. I am not
 convinced of the latter.

	I say we do what we have to, and not get into the business of
 interpreting local laws and licenses and international copyright law
 and patent laws and treaties. This is a slippery slope we do *not have*
 to descend. I repeat: we only have non-US since master lives in US,
 and we must obey US laws for master while master is here. How up are
 you on the laws of Bhutan, if I may ask?

	The US is not getting preferential treatment here, and we are
 not just dispensing legal advice for the fun of it.

	I would formally object to any such proposal, yes, on these
 grounds (I would hate to be deported). And none of my packages are
 ever going to sport such a tag (at least while the INS may deport me).

	manoj
--
 It is not well to be thought of as one who meekly submits to
 insolence and intimidation.