Re: LSB Status

In article <[🔎] XFMail.20011128091958.shalehperry@home.com>,
Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shalehperry@home.com> wrote:
>On 28-Nov-2001 Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
>>
>> Well no, packages in .lsb that have an /etc/init.d/initscript must
>> support the 'status' option but Debian packages don't have to do
>> that as they are Debian packages and not .LSB packages.
>>

>right, but if you want to INSTALL and USE a lsb package that package is fully
>within its rights to expect /etc/init.d/apache status to work (not to pick on
>apache).

If the LSB defines that /etc/init.d/apache should be present and
working and that LSB packages should be able to call it then yes;
otherwise why is an LSB package calling an init script of a
non-lsb package? It probably should not do that.

>actually the spec calls for RH style shell functions in the inits instead of
>our method of start-stop-daemon.  Yes as with all specs it is the worst of all
>possible worlds but the things all of them were willing to do.

But who cares, Debian packages are not going to use it, it's
ONLY lsb packages that are going to use that.

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.