Re: packages without .md5sums file?

>>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

 Marcus> I think that the checksums should be in the package, and
 Marcus> burned on CDs along with the package, so you can verify them
 Marcus> more easily.

	If the package is signed, or if there is a Packages file on
 the CD with md5sum of the package in it, you do not need an
 additional list of explicit md5sums of each and every file in the
 package. No additional security is gained from that.

	Additionally, conffiles are not taken into consideration by
 these schemes to store checksums on the CD. Tripwire and friends do
 take carte of that, but they have their own problems.

 Marcus> Creating them by an untrusted system, and
 Marcus> storing them on writable media (even temporarily) is a
 Marcus> process which is difficult to harden.

	Strawman. If do not trust the system where you check the
 md5sums, you can say nothing about the results. If you have a trusted
 system to do the checking, you can start with a trusted set of .debs
 and check for modified files.

	You are making the argument that the current system leaves you
 no way to verify files on your box; and really, that is not
 true. The trade offs involved here are between size of .debs vs
 processing in the (rare) occurrence of a integrity check; and not all
 of us agree that the rare computational penalty is too bad a rice to
 pay in return for the more common saving of space and bandwidth.

	However, I could be swayed from my position were I shown hard
 numbers that demonstrate otherwise -- performance penalties in
 starting from a verified .deb  vs the space consumption of md5sums

	manoj
--
 I'm So Miserable Without You It's Almost Like Having You Here Song
 title by Stephen Bishop.  She Got the Gold Mine, I Got the Shaft Song