Re: calling MAKEDEV from postinst

You said:

: What happens if the admin has set certain permissions on the device files, and
: you go and recreate them, thereby removing those permissions?

That sounds pretty much like what I'm responding to. I'm implying that
MAKEDEV would only create the device nodes that don't exist, and
leave all others alone.

> If I delete a few of the devices in a set, and your postinst just wants to
> create the entire set, then your extra flag will not help.

It wouldn't be *my* extra flag, it would be MAKEDEV's.
It would tell MAKEDEV to only create any device node that
don't exist.
In other words, it would leave the permissions / whatever on existing
device nodes alone.  Your response to me suggests that you assume that
despite the flag being passed, MAKEDEV would recreate any and all
device nodes requested and modify existing device nodes to suit its
default settings.

> Here's what I think should happen:
>
> * The package asks to create the device files.
> * Package calls MAKEDEV.
> * MAKEDEV sees it's a devfs system, and either does nothing, or registers
>   perms appropriately with devfsd.

Huh?!?  You never mentioned devfs in the message I replied to.

Paul Slootman
please cc me, I'm not subscribed to d-policy