Re: calling MAKEDEV from postinst

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 09:02:07PM +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
> It concerns the fact that MAKEDEV is called from the postinst to
> create the required ISDN devices, without first asking the user for
> permission.
>
> Apparently this is policy, although no one seems to know
> why it exists (a search of policy archives leads to
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy-0007/msg00138.html which
> addresses this, but that never got answered).

I'd suggest using debconf to ask the question (with a low priority).

Asking the question benefits the more paranoid user who wants to keep
an eye on changes to the underlying system interfaces.  And, of course,
there's always the possibility that a user is installing a package to
examine it, but not to use it.

I [personally] don't have any objection to changing the policy to
eliminate the requirement for this question.  However, debconf / low
priority seems to solve the problem you're grappling with.

Thanks,

--
Raul