RE: calling MAKEDEV from postinst

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

>Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:07:05 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shalehperry@home.com>
>To: Paul Slootman <paul@debian.org>
>Cc: debian-policy@lists.debian.org
>Subject: RE: calling MAKEDEV from postinst
>

>> It concerns the fact that MAKEDEV is called from the postinst to create
>> the required ISDN devices, without first asking the user for permission.
>>

>It does seem a bit odd.  Most packages seem to ignore that piece of policy.
>Only plausible rationale would be the "sysadmins are cranky and want to know
>what every package is doing", which does not seem to match Debian's current
>goals.

We currently AFAIR have all device nodes in a single RPM package
in RHL, however this may change..  I think we're adding support
to RPM to allow stuff like:

%dev(device flags, etc...)

Does dpkg et al. have something similar, and if not, would it be
considered something useful?  I can try to get/provide details if
it would be helpful.

Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,
XFree86 maintainer		Ontario, Canada, P6C 5B3
Red Hat Inc.                    Phone: (705)949-2136
http://www.redhat.com		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris