Re: conffiles in /etc/default

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 05:36:34PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > Does this change have a rationale (and if so, could it be included in a
> > footnote), or should it be reverted?
> The file is expected to be changed, which would trigger the 'get the new
> version?' prompt.  Trying to reduce those prompts seems like a good idea.

All conffiles are expected to be changed...

The aversion to prompts only applies to having the file changed by scripts
rather than by the user firing up an editor. That's only bad because then
dpkg'll prompt to say "you've changed this file" when you *didn't* change
the file and thus you won't know how to correctly answer the question.

Cheers,
aj