Re: RFC: default encoding of documentation and debian control files

Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> wrote:
>Given the recent discussion about UTF-8 support in debian,
>I would like to come forth with following proposal.
>Any comments, suggestions, and grammar corrections are welcome

Please make these two:

>*Addition to section 3 Control files and their fields:
>
>3.3 Default charset of control files
>
>If, for whatever reason (such as upstream author's or maintainer's
>names, foreign language package description and similar), you need to
>use characters outside 7 bit ASCII range in control files, these
>characters must be encoded using UTF-8 encoding.

[...]

>*Addition to 13.5 Preferred documentation formats:
>
>HTML documents, if in encoding other than us-ascii, must
>have in their header an appropriate META tag describing the used encoding.
>
>[example:
><META HTTP-Equiv="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-2">
>]

... use "should" rather than "must". debian/changelog's character set
seems like a sensible thing to make RC, though. What will tools like
dpkg-parsechangelog and apt-listchanges make of a UTF-8 Debian
changelog?