Re: mandate ldconfig -X?

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:19:53PM +1000, Brian May wrote:

>     Robbe> For one, it is unnecessary, and wastes time. But more
>     Robbe> importantly, the Hurd has no ld.so.cache, which kills
>     Robbe> reason 2 on this platform. Debian GNU/Hurd systems also
>     Robbe> don't have reason 1, so there is currently no real ldconfig
>     Robbe> program on the Hurd. Rather than writing a program that's
>     Robbe> completely pointless, I'd rather we called ldconfig
>     Robbe> correcly, i.e.  with the -X parameter. "ldconfig -X" will
>     Robbe> just do nothing on the Hurd.
>
> I fail to see:
>
> What is wrong with the current practise on the Hurd, where ldconfig
> is a do nothing program?

We could make it bail out with an error if something is requested which
isn't implemented.  Sometimes, debian/rules scripts run ldconfig to set
links.  So we want to provide an ldconfig dummy script which will error out
for any unsupported operation, and only return success silently for
operations which are unnecessary on the Hurd (as rebuilding the cache).

If "ldconfig" is called in package scripts, we can not make the dummy script
behave reliably: Failing on what is not supported but should have an effect,
succeeding on what is without effect on the Hurd.

It will also help to catch bugs in library packages on Linux, because
missing links won't be created automatically, out of dpkg's control.
Although I think that lintian has a check for it.

> How does disabling task 1 (creating the links) help for the Hurd?

To summarize, it will help us catch abuses (incompatible uses) of
ldconfig in scripts and package builds, so we don't succeed silently
although we didn't perform the requested operation.

But beside helping the Hurd, it will also help everyone by making our
software better and more more transparent (it is more clear what the intention
of calling ldconfig is).

It's really just a clean up of one of the many things that are slightly
broken.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de