Re: Is it allowed to remove old changelog entries?

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 04:42:15PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
>     a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
>     stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.

It says "the modified files".  Keeping a separate ChangeLog does
not meet this requirement; the notices must be in the files themselves.

It also doesn't require more than the name and the date, and it doesn't
forbid you from removing the notices for previous changes.  So your
name and the date of the latest change should be enough.  (I'm not sure
what "the date of any change" means, though -- why the "any"?  If they
meant "all" then presumably they would have said so.)

I'd like to see the GPL endorse project-wide changelogs, since for most
projects they are considerably more convenient than per-file changelogs.
I once wrote Richard Stallman about this, when I heard he was working
on GPLv3.  He said he'd think about it.  Since there is no GPLv3 yet,
I presume he's still thinking :-)

Richard Braakman