Re: "Defaults for satisfying dependencies - ordering" gone?

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 07:24:34AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> >> Why is that not viable?
> >>
> >> Do the following:
> >>
> >> * Make all the different editor packages provide the virtual package
> >>   "editor".
> >> * Create a real package "editor-proxy", which depends on "editor", and
> >>   is marked Essential.
>
> > And then have a couple of hundred packages that use invoke editor depend on
> > it, and after that have a couple of thousand packages depend on it because
> > they depend on it implicitely...
>
> Nope.  It will truly be essential without actually being marked essnetial
> as an essential package depends on it.  So this actually avoids the need
> for explicit dependencies.

Hmm. It will still be easy to break this dependency with --force-depends,
which is about the same thing as removing all the editors, you have to do it
on purpose. Then again, I'm nitpicking now, ignore me :)

BTW which would the default be, Depends: ae | editor? Or should we have a
flamewar^Wdiscussion on devel about it? }:)