Re: "Defaults for satisfying dependencies - ordering" gone?

Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 11:04:14PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
>>
>> The comparison breaks down as there isn't an editor which is actually
>> essential.

> Yes, but _an_ editor is almost essential. Well, it's essential all right if
> you consider that things like dircolors or nl are essential, but some people
> will never use them (like there are people that will never use editors).

>From a package dependency point of view, almost essential is a world away
from actually being essential.  It's the difference between being able
to rely on its existence without depending on it and the need to declare
an explicit dependency whenever you use it.

IMHO we just need to declare the said editor (or whatever else we agree on)
essential and be done with it.