Re: Definition of alphanumeric?

>>"Julian" == Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> writes:

 Julian> On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 03:50:39PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
 >> policy uses alphanumeric to define version numbers. Is this only a-zA-Z0-9,
 >> or does this include the "_"? As the "_" is used as a seperator in Debian
 >> package file names, this would be perverse, but I would like to stay on the
 >> safe side.

 Julian> No, only a-zA-Z0-9 should be allowed.  I have no idea whether this is
 Julian> enforced anywhere, but this should probably be spelled out in policy.

	Here is what policy says, in part:

     <epoch>
          This is a single (generally small) unsigned integer.
     <upstream-version>
          The <upstream-version> may contain only alphanumerics and the
          characters `.'  `+' `-' `:' (full stop, plus, hyphen, colon) and
          should start with a digit.  If there is no <debian-revision> then
          hyphens are not allowed; if there is no <epoch> then colons are
          not allowed.
     <debian-revision>
          The <debian-revision> may contain only alphanumerics and the
          characters `+' and `.'  (plus and full stop).

	So there is no component that takes merely alphanumerics;
 policy is already quite explicit about this.

>From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (19 Jan 01) [foldoc]:
  alphanumeric
     <character> A decimal digit or a letter (upper or lower case).
     Typically, "letters" means only English letters ({ASCII} A-Z
     plus a-z) but it may also include non-English letters in the
     Roman alphabet, e.g., e-{acute}, c-{cedilla}, the {thorn
     letter}, and so on.  Perversely, it may also include the
     {underscore} character in some contexts.

	I suggest we note that as far as policy is concerned,
 alphanumeric  has the most restrictive definition, namely,
 <character> A decimal digit or a letter (upper or lower case), where
 "letters" means only {ASCII} A-Z plus a-z (This can be an annotative
 footnote).

	manoj
--
 New York... when civilization falls apart, remember, we were way
 ahead of you. David Letterman