Crypto (Was: Re: PostgreSQL 7.1beta5 debs available)

    Oliver> "J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" wrote:
    >> On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 16:43:13 +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
    Oliver> [that PostgreSQL appears to need to move to non-us, since it now has SSL
    Oliver> hooks in it]
    >>> As far as I am aware, it will do no good not to build it with SSL support,
    >>> since all the hooks are still in the source.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure whether hooks are still an issue with the current US export
    >> policy.
    >>
    >>> Presumably PostgreSQL has to move to non-us, unless we change our policy.
    >>
    >> There's a policy ammendment for that at http://bugs.debian.org/81852 .

    Oliver> Since it hasn't been incorporated in policy yet, I presume
    Oliver> that I have to move PostgreSQL, no?  Or is there any
    Oliver> prospect of its being incorporated before the end of
    Oliver> March?

I'd rather not see this policy change taking effect... because it's
based on the Clinton administration's changes of export policy, and
not on a change of actual law.  Now, how likely it is for G.W. to
change that back in favor of a more Free Software/Open Source
unfriendly policy[1] is anyone's guess.  But if that should happen,
we'd probably have to scramble to move stuff back to non-us...

I just think that the benefits of moving crypto to main don't
outweight the potential risk.

At the very least, we should do what kernel.org did with the crypto
patches.  AFAIK, those are still separate on kernel.org... so removing
them would be simple and fast.

Bye, J

[1] One argument they[2] could use[3] could be something like "when
they get binaries, they can use crypto, which is bad... but when they
get *source*, they can even *learn* crypto, which is worse!"  ("they"
being those real or imaginary "Terrorist Nations")

[2] "They" of course being any anti-FS/OS interests.

[3] Not considering any potential impact of "The Allchin Incident" ;-)

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard@gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
          My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard