Re: Where to place images?

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 11:52:41AM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> However, I'd like to put images in something like /usr/share/web-images,
> since I _might_ end up cluttering around and overwriting files which I
> shouldn't, by placing the images in /var/www/mailman-images.  Also, it looks
> messy, IMHO.
>
> So what I propose is that we create a new directory /usr/share/images (or
> something like that), which is available via the web as
> http://server/images/.  Packages create sub-directories, so that Mailman will
> have /usr/share/images/mailman/logo.jpg which will be referred to as
> http://server/images/mailman/logo.jpg .

I like this idea.  /usr/share/doc is really not the right place for images, and
placing them there simply because it happens to be web-accessible is an
unnecessary kludge.  Slightly less unappetizing is to place the images in
/usr/share/<package> and symlink from /var/www to there.  Policy recommends
against this, but I like it for systems that I administer.  It makes it a
simple matter to symlink from the real doc root (or appropriate virtual host
doc root) to the links in /var/www and /usr/lib/cgi-bin and have everything
work.

--
 - mdz