Re: packages with really old standards version

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 12:39:08PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> > > 	E!: non-FHS-directory
> > > 	E-: missing-manpage
> > > 	E?: standards-version-uses-4-digits-not-3
> > when I rewrite lintian (started yesterday) the lintian messages will match
> > policy:
> > Error (E:) -- violate a MUST
> > Warning (W:) -- violate a SHOULD
> > XXXXXXX (?:) -- a MAY is not followed
>
> Currently, aiui, lintian uses E: for problems that it's sure are mistakes,
> and W: for problems that it's only guessing are mistakes. I think that
> division is still useful.

no, it tries to do this based on 2.x level MUST/SHOULD and the authors beliefs
of severity.  Has nothing to do with the sureness of the test.

> katie or testing could legitimately automatically reject packages with
> E! lintian errors, but not E- or W!, eg.

lintian will never be able to return a sure judgement.  Manoj's packages
confuse it thoroughly, but on hand inspection I am sure they follow policy.
Every message lintian outputs should be checked manually and by a re-read of
policy.  It is trying to discern what a human meant.  In the realm of coding,
people do all kinds of crazy things and lintian can only cope so well.  Assume
every message is 'X-:'.

A Package with an E: should be marked for human inspection at best.
James Troup has stated that when I trust lintian he will consider hooking it
into dinstall.  I think this is a good thing.  It is my hope to have lintian
to a sane state by summer (July-ish).  Wichert wants something in 3 months
for the FSG.  Not sure if the code base will make that, but I will try.