Re: Policy rewrite: chs 1 & 2

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 11:06:18PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 12:19:36PM +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > 1.1  Comparison of must, should, may with bug severities: at present,
>
> may -> wishlist; should -> minor/normal/important; must -> serious

Noted, thanks.

> > 2.1  The aims of this policy are....
> >      Is this really the case?  Surely this is the aim of Debian
> >      itself, not of the technical policy?  The aim of the policy is
> >      primarily to ensure a high technical quality and very high levels
> >      of software interoperability, including ease of installation,
> >      upgrading and use of the system.
>
> It's the aim of section 2 of policy, which are the guidelines on what
> software we'll distribute (viz, anything we're allowed to), and how
> we'll distribute it (viz, in a way that encourages everyone to write
> free software, and in a way that makes it easy for people to produce CDs).
>
> s/We want to /to allow us to/g might be a reasonable rewriting.

OK, accepted.  We'll see how to fit it into a rewritten policy.  At
present, section 2 ranges from the definition of DFSG through to rules
about maintainer scripts and guidance on error-trapping in makefiles!
(That's something I definitely want to change: reorganise this
material in a slightly more meaningful way.)

> > 2.1.4 The non-free section
> > [...]
> >      (It does not necessarily make sense to talk about buggy, as we
> >      may well not have the source code to fix them.)
>
> If it's so buggy we refuse to support it, we should just get rid of it
> from the archive (as we did with majordomo some time ago, iirc)...

Fair enough.  I'll put that bit in, if there are no objections.

> >      Would we have to exclude certain policy requirements for non-free
> >      packages?  I would tend to think not, but I may have overlooked
> >      some.
>
> djbdns (and qmail?) people might like to be able to upload a non-FHS
> package to non-free, and get away with it. I think it's more appropriate
> to make special exemptions if we *really* need to, than generalise policy
> to cope with non-policy conformant packages. (``We want to encourage
> everyone to write free software'' after all...)

How about something like "...packages in non-free must satisfy all of
the requirements of this policy document.  Individual exemptions may
be made if agreement is reached to do this on the debian-policy
mailing list."

> > 2.2 Priorities: important
> > [...]
> >      Two questions:
> >      (i)  Should we write the sentence "If the expectation..." in a
> >           slightly more formal way?!
>
> Why? Is there something particularly desirable about boring documentation?

8-)

> >      (ii) Is the sentence "This is an important criterion..." relevant
> >           to the policy document?  It's a project goal, not a
> >           technical policy, surely?
>
> It's rationale for the techincal policy. It may be more appropriate in
> a footnote these days.

Agreed.

> > 2.4.6 Obsolete contructs and libraries
> >      Is this relevant to policy any more?  It is impossible to compile
> >      against libtermcap any longer, as the files do not exist.  It is
> >      still possible, though, to use varargs.h.  But these appear to be
> >      two randomly selected examples of software which has been
> >      superceded.  Maybe there should be an appendix with such
> >      information, but it's not so useful unless it's kept up to date.
>
> It's more useful than if it wasn't there at all, though, isn't it?

libtermcap: no, it isn't.  It's impossible to compile against
libtermcap using an up-to-date Debian system.

varargs.h: still useful.

But surely there are lots of other such obsolete constructs and
libraries; we really need a programmer's guide for such things rather
than policy.

   Julian

         Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
       Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://people.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/