Re: FHS, netscape and Dan Bernstein

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Raul Miller wrote:
> > Please see: http://cr.yp.to/distributors.html

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 10:27:47AM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> The holes in that page are so large you could drive fleets of roadtrains
> through them.

I'm disregarding this as a troll.

> I refer specifically to "you own that copy of the software", which
> implies that you own that copy, and are free to do what you want with
> it (imagine a car compant saying "you own this car, but you can only
> drive it on these roads").

I'm disregarding most of this as a troll.  [No one copyright's cars.]

An analogy to a book or a cdrom would be quite a bit more relevant.

> Also, the bit talking about how you may distribute it if it's in the
> same layout as what a user would get if they installed it themselves.

The implication is that distribution is a copyright issue.

>  If I install the program with the lovely 'cp' command, it may just
> end up in a different spot... hmm...

How is this different from any other case of software, where you legally
own a copy?

> Basically, Bernstein is a troll, and has no idea about how to play well with
> other programs / people's ideas.

I'm ignoring this as a troll.

> > For inclusion in non-free, which is more significant: access to
> > source code or 100% FHS compliance?
>
> Since not everything in non-free has source anyway, I'd vote for FHS
> compliance.

That's fine.  [As I noted in my second message in this thread, the
FHS compliance issue has another potential resolution.]

Thanks,

--
Raul