Re: Policy updating?

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 12:33:13AM +0100, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> (There was some disagreement about the version number; it's probably safe
> to downgrade the version number if we want to with an appropriate
> announcement to this list, as only those on this list know about 4.0.0.0.)

Yeah, 3.5 should be sufficient. The changes don't seem to affect quite a lot
of packages (not everything is /usr/X11R6-basedd :), correct me if I'm wrong.

> I suggest that we have a couple of policy caretakers (DPL delegates?)
> who are able to announce to the -policy list (via the BTS) about such
> proposals: "This proposal has had no seconds and no objections.  If no
> objections/seconds are received within 2 weeks, the proposal will be
> considered accepted/rejected."
>
> Note that this is not a power of veto or similar (so no czars), just a
> way to ensure that the Right Thing gets done.

People from the Technical Committee should be the right ones to do something
like this. The problem with them is that they're mostly AWOL. :/

> I think that the rest of the process itself is working quite
> smoothly.  I do agree, though, that it would be nice to have a better
> way of tracking proposals, but that's a lot of work, and who has the
> time for that?  But there are rarely that many going at once.

Maybe we could get a simple (or not so simple ;) database implemented, such
as those for the QA group (http://qa.debian.org/) and new-maintainer process
(http://nm.debian.org/)? Hmmm... http://policy.debian.org/ sounds nice.