re: mail spool (Finale)

Finally, the answers were kind, I was sent no rtfm and the questions
weren't deemed off-topic, thank you very much. But, that's the way
things are, too many questions always yield few answers.
Nevertheless I think the points are important - let's take a look at
the wording in Policy 5.6 Mail transport agents
    > Debian packages which process electronic mail (...)
    > <em>must</em> make sure that they are compatible with the
    > configuration decisions below.
    > Failure to do this may result in lost mail, broken From: lines, and
    > other serious brain damage!

If the Policy uses <em>must</em>, it's not up to the sysadmin
to decide. Her decisions <em>have</em> to be compatible. Period.

* Issue one: SPOOL AND MAILBOXES
Where should the real spool files be? Could /var/mail/$user be a link
to /home/$user/Mailbox?

    > [Policy 5.6]
    > The mail spool is /var/spool/mail (...) The mail spool is part
    > of the base system
    > The mail spool is 2775 mail.mail (...)
    > (should be root.mail, objects Santiago Vila)
    > (...)
    > Mailboxes are generally 660 user.mail unless the user has chosen
    > otherwise (...) Mailboxes must be writable by group mail.

    > [qmail's INSTALL.vsm]
    > There are two basic problems with /var/spool/mail:
    > It's slow.
    > It's insecure.

    > [qmail's INSTALL.mbox]
    > qmail-local delivers mail by default into ~user/Mailbox, rather than
    > /var/spool/mail/user.
    > (...)
    > As root, set up a symbolic link from /var/spool/mail/user to
    > ~user/Mailbox for each user. /var/spool/mail should be mode 1777,
    > so users will not be able to accidentally remove these links. (...)
    > If /var/spool/mail is large, you can gain extra speed by configuring
    > all your mail software to look at ~user/Mailbox directly.
    > (...)
    > Some vendors, in a misguided attempt to solve the security problems of
    > /var/spool/mail, have made all their mail software setgid mail. After
    > you move the mailboxes, you can---and, for security, should---remove
    > those setgid-mail bits.

** Issue two: FILE LOCKING
    > [Policy 5.6]
    > All Debian MUAs, MTAs, MDAs and other mailbox accessing programs (like
    > IMAP daemons) have to lock the mailbox in a NFS-safe way.

    > [qmail's INSTALL.maildir]
    > The mbox format---the format of ~user/Mailbox, understood by BSD Mail
    > and lots of other MUAs---is inherently unreliable.
    > (...)
    > You should switch to maildir, which works fine over NFS without any
    > locking. You can safely read your mail over NFS if it's in maildir
    > format.
Mbox needs procmail for dot-locking (says Phil Hands, the maintainer,
in README.Debian), Maildir doesn't.

* Issue three: ALIASES
    > [Policy 5.6]
    > /etc/aliases is the source file for the system mail aliases
    > (e.g., postmaster, usenet, etc.)--it is the one which the
    > sysadmin and postinst scripts may edit. After /etc/aliases
    > is edited the program or human editing it must call newaliases.

    > [qmail's INSTALL.alias]
    > qmail doesn't have any built-in support for /etc/aliases. If you have a
    > big /etc/aliases and you'd like to keep it, install the fastforward
    > package, available separately.

Well, the aliases system in qmail is completely different. Should this
ammount to a wishlist message to the qmail-src maintainer, suggesting
a qmail -> fastforward dependancy? (this applies to sendmail to qmail
migration, but not the other way round). Should an 'addalias' script
be created which wrote both to /var/lib/qmail/alias/ and /etc/aliases?

CONCLUSIVE QUESTIONS
Is qmail an inherently non-Policy packet? Should the Policy wording
be modified? Doesn't the Policy have a bias for a sendmail-like
system? Have the security implications been considered (see Bugtraq
1999-1, discussion between Venema and Berstein)? Did I miss something?

How about an /etc/mailsystem conffile?
For instance (of course this is naïve)
	mta=qmail|sendmail|smail...
	mda=...