Re: Policy process

>>"Anthony" == Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

 Anthony> It makes a certain amount of sense that we need a smarter
 Anthony> tool to handle open issues against policy than open bugs
 Anthony> against most packages. To me, anyway.

	Let us see what this mechanism would need to do.
 a) It should allow people to propose changes, and should keep track
    of these proposals, so things do not fall through the cracks if
    the person does not have the time/motivation to jump thorugh
    hoops.
 b) It should allow for and record seconds to the proposal.
 c) It should allow people to CC mail to each proposal, and thus we
    need a email address automatically set up for each proposal.
 d) The proposals should be widely accesible to people, preferably
    over an HTTP interface.
 e) It should be possible to keep track of a state of a proposal,
 f) It should be possible to have closely related variants of
    proposals
 g) This mechanism should have an email adminstrative interface (it
    this point was not obvious from the above).
 h) It should not require explicit attention from an individual for
    most day-to-day work, perhaps a gpg check against the keyring for
    changing states of proposals.
 i) Older proposals should be archived for a longish time so we can,
    in retrospect, go back and discover rationale.

	The BTS is a close match, but not an exact one. And, it would
 be nice to be able to separate out the BTS from this, then, so that
 we can distinguish between a bug report and a policy proposal.

	Sounds like a lot of work, though.

	manoj
--
 It's the good girls who keep the diaries, the bad girls never have
 the time. Tallulah Bankhead