Re: mail spool

I could try to sort through that and try to answer specific questions in
the order asked, however I think the answers make more sense if I don't.

The reason for a common mail spool in mbox format is that it is the
standard.  Many people (myself included) do not use the mbox format other
than for archival purposes (for which it works great IMO), but that cannot
be policy because of the number of people it affects adversely.

On my own systems, ~/Mailbox is the standard with ~/Maildir being very
easily done.  These were local administration decisions and required some
amount of reconfiguration of software which I have every right to do on my
own system, and isn't terribly difficult if I actually want to take the
time to make the changes.  BTW, my personal inbox is ~/.mail/INBOX
actually, so I personally deviate from my own systemwide standards.
That's always possible on a user-by-user basis.

As to the /var/mail vs. /var/spool/mail issue, well, it's all about where
the mail spool should go.  It originally was /usr/spool/mail and has since
moved around a bit.  Most unices have moved on to /var/mail with Linux
being the big exception.  The debate is whether or not the way Linux does
things and has done them since long before anybody cared should be changed
now.  Some say yes, some say no.  All agree that compatibility with the
old location is important.

Hope that answers your questions.

<Reed> It is important to note that the primary reason the Roman Empire
       fail is that they had no concept of zero... thus they could not
       test the success or failure of their C programs.