Alternative names in upstream changelogs

Debian policy requires that the upstream changelog be accessible as
/usr/share/doc/<package>/changelog.gz. Some (many?) authors use an
alternative name for their changelog, with "CHANGES" seeming to be the
most popular. What is the appropriate thing to do?

1. Copy to changelog and compress?

2a. Copy as CHANGES, compress, and 'ln -s CHANGES.gz changelog.gz'?

2b. Copy as changelog, compress, and 'ln -s changelog.gz CHANGES.gz'?

3. Copy as CHANGES, compress, and copy to changelog.gz?

4. Copy as CHANGES, copy to changelog, and compress both?

5. Copy as CHANGES, copy to changelog, and compress only changelog?

6. Copy as CHANGES, compress, and ignore policy?

Obviously, 3-6 are wrong, but all of the above seem to have been done
by at least one package installed on my system. FWIW, 2a seems the most
popular in my small sample.

Or should I just stop worrying about trivial crap like this?

Steve