Re: [RFD]: Question regarding actions to take on --purge of a package.

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 at 12:06, Steve Greenland wrote about "Re: [RFD]:...":

> Please, no. If I said purge, I meant purge. Purge removes all files that
> belong to the package, which includes log files. If you want to keep
> them, don't purge, or copy them somewhere. (Logically, this makes sense:
> if you're removing configuration files, which you perhaps actually
> had to put effort into, why wouldn't you remove log files, which are
> completely auto generated?)

Obviously there is a need. The problem is that purge means something else
to different people.

Some people might want to save the config files, some may want to save the
logs.

Some say it's just simpler to remove it all and say that if you wanted to
save something, copy it out.

I think there should be options like what some Windows program may have in
that fancy-shmancy uninstaller that many programs use.

"Auto-Uninstall" and "Custom-Uninstall", with the latter going the way of
the new Debian installation, just the other way around.

--
Brock Rozen                                              brozen@torah.org