Re: missing FHS archives

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 03:56:52PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 12:55:49AM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:
> > Instead of being slammed for inventing conspiracies where none would exist,
> > I would be perfectly happy to be proven wrong by someone providing
> > a link to such archives.  As so many of you eloquently put, my comments
> > about /usr/libexec make me seem like an idiot because "its not in the FHS".
>
> GNU (read: the Hurd) is using /libexec (we don't have /usr) as well.
> It is a good idea for some stuff IMHO.
> The FHS should probably reconsider its point of view.

Or GNU theirs.  If GNU was involved in FHS discussions, there are
probably good reasons why the FHS didn't take their views on board.
If they weren't, then they should aim to follow the FHS anyway or aim
to get involved in changing it.  I haven't looked, but I would presume
that the Debian GNU/Hurd port is following the FHS, so it can be
done.  (Otherwise, we'll have different Debian systems with radically
different filesystem structures, which just seems to me a very bad
prospect, for example, if people choose to migrate at some stage from
Linux to the Hurd, and also for sysadmins trying to look at both
Linux-based and Hurd-based Debian systems.  Besides which, it's the
current policy.)

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg