Re: Changes in handling library dependencies

    Jason> On 21 Jan 2000, Brian May wrote:

    >> Hang on. You can't do it!!! At least, not with libtool.

    Jason> What? .la files are only for static linking, we are talking
    Jason> about dynamic.  It is good that libtool complains :>

    Jason> Look inside the .la file, it is just a text file.

I was hoping that libtool would be smart enough to find the correct
shared library.  Shared library information is listed in the *.la
file, too.

How would you do it?

If you don't link in the *.la file, and if you can't link in the *.so
file, I think the only other possibilities:

- install a library before linking it in. This would completely
wreck the conventional

make build
make install cycle.

Instead, you would have to use

make -C libs/libcom_err build
make -C libs/libcom_err install
make -C libs/libkrb5 build
make -C libs/libkrb5 install
make -C libs/libasn1 build
make -C libs/libasn1 install
[...]

which is horrid! I think you would have major problems trying to
package something like this into Debian, too.

- don't use libtool. Yuck.

--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>