Re: Custom undocumented(7)s are just as bad.

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 08:47:43AM -0300, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
>  Writing your own undocumented manpage is just as bad.. typing man and
> having to read something like `foobar has no manpage, type this and that and
> don't bother me.' it's the same thing.
>  The manpage must provide some minimal information. That's what I'd propose.
>  e.g. The manpage must provide at least the information you can get from the
> online help.

    This requirement cannot then be placed concurrently with the
requirement to have a manpage for every binary.  In some larger
packages, it's pretty difficult to find out what some of those
binaries do, except that to say that if you take one of them out of
the path, something will break.  They don't always have online help.

    What might be significantly more useful is to give missing
manpages (and other documentation bugs) their own bug category so that
people with time free to document can easily get a list of packages
that need help.

    My personal preference is to leave undocumented(7) in place and
just coordinate manpage-writing-parties.

Zed Pobre <zed@va.debian.org> | PGP key on servers, fingerprint on finger