Re: source package structure

    Raul> [This is not about source package format.]  Currently, the
    Raul> debian/ directory goes inside the source directory, and we
    Raul> sometimes can't use pristine upstream sources because they
    Raul> don't conform to our standards.

    Raul> The obvious way to fix this is: have a standard for the
    Raul> debian source directory, and unpack the pristine upstream
    Raul> sources into it.

    Raul> Note that if we went this direction (and doing this right
    Raul> would involve some careful planning), this would also
    Raul> address current silliness, like debian/rules creating .deb
    Raul> files, etc. in the parent directory.

    Raul> Here's a draft idea, please poke holes in it:

I have comments, first step is to understand the proposal though.

    Raul> [1] keep current directory naming convention.  [2] keep
    Raul> debian/ as a sub directory of main directory.  [3] unpack
    Raul> pristine sources in the source/ directory [4] Where upstream
    Raul> sources include a debian/ directory, implement as active
    Raul> debian/ directory using a symlink.  [5] distribute the
    Raul> debian directory as small, independent tarball.  Even where
    Raul> it's just a symlink.  [6] generated files (.deb, .tar.gz,
    Raul> .dsc, etc.) should all be created inside the main directory,
    Raul> but outside the debian/ and source/ directories.  [7]
    Raul> migrating to this standard should be associated with a new
    Raul> major release of policy (with all the associated delays --
    Raul> we're going to have some delays anyways just waiting for our
    Raul> build tools to be able to recognize and deal with this.).

Trying to understand this directory structure (do I have this
correct?):

xyz-0.0/                 [1]
xyz-0.0/debian/          [2] could be symlink to source/debian [4]
xyz-0.0/source/          [3] pristine source

tar -C xyz-0.0 -cvzf debian.tar.gz debian [5]

xyz-0.0/debian.tar.gz    [6]
xyz-0.0/xyz_0.0-1.deb
xyz-0.0/xyz_0.0-1.diff.gz
xyz-0.0/xyz_0.0-1_i386.changes
xyz-0.0/xyz_0.0-1_i386.dsc
xyz-0.0/xyz_0.0.orig.tar.gz

You say that this isn't meant to change the source code format, but
[2], [4] and [5] seem to be saying otherwise.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>