Re: changing priorities

Anthony Towns:
> For woody, it'd be nice if we could use the Priority field consistently.

It would be even nicer if we could use the override file consistently,
but it seems there is not enough ftp.debian.org manpower to fix the
wrong priorities. I refer to this rule in policy:

   Packages may not depend on packages with lower priority values
   (excluding build-time dependencies). If this does happen, one of the
   priority values will have to be adapted.

I have been reporting violations of this rule since a long time ago,
but they have never been fixed completely. As of today, we have not
even achieved to remove violations of this policy regarding required,
important or standard packages.

If you convince the ftp.debian.org maintainers to fix *all* the bugs
(not only those of important severity), fine.

If not, I object to any change in the priority system until we achieve
a consistent system with the current priorities. In particular, I want
to see that there are no conflicts among the set of optional and
higher packages.