Re: cleaning up our task packages

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 12:45:13AM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:

> > Which doesn't include some very important tasks (task-web-server
> > and task-programming come to mind), but is a large improvment from
> > what we have now. And almost even fits on one screen.
> >

> Maybe we need a way to define subtasks so we get output like:

>  [ ] LDAP			: LDAP libraries, server and clients
>      [ ] LDAP Devel		: LDAP Development libraries
>      [ ] LDAP Server		: LDAP Server
>      [ ] LDAP Tools		: LDAP Utilities
>      [ ] LDAP Name Service	: LDAP NSS and PAM for Name Service

That would definitely be the best solution for the long term.  I
really do hope we can get there someday.  For the short-term, however,
it might be nice to have some controls over when one can invade the
task-* namespace, just as we do with virtual packages.

> Of course, this requires the tasksel author agreeing to implement
> something like this :)

Hmm, more of a "recommends" than a "depends".  We could always write a
replacement if he simply refuses point-blank.  But he certainly
deserves the right of "first refusal".