Re: cleaning up our task packages

I'm going to chime in with my non-DD-ness.  ATM the people who decide a
task package are not the ones who will ever use them.  Tasks were by
definition not for developers, but for FNGs--DD's should know what they
want.  Has anyone gone to -user and ASKED?  I would submit that the first
step in reformation of task-* would be to find out what tasks are required
"out of the box" by users, not what tasks are thought to be required by
DDs.  I think that both a task-gnome and a task-KDE are appropriate, but
why is there a task-debian-devel and FOUR task-python-* s?  It looks ATM
as if the task-* setup is just becoming another trash repository of
meta-packages that wouldn't make it on their own.  There are waay too many
-dev tasks, but the obvious one is missing: the first thing any FNG builds
on most unices is the kernel: in fact, I really wonder at the person who
thinks that they're qualified to be a DD yet hasn't built a custom kernel
at one time.  The other thing I would submit is that wishlist bugs on
task-* packages become RC--if they're an issue with something under the
aegis of the task, the bug should be forwarded, while if the task has a
feature request that isn't being dealt with, the task-* is failing its
mission.  This would have the effect of minimizing unnecessary (and
probably necessary ones too, but you can't have an omlette...) task-*
packages beacuse of the "RC hunt" at the ends of freezes.

Just my opinion, mostly so's I get "I told you so" dibs when someone else
comes up with it later...

--
Pardon me, but you have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a
damn.