Re: cleaning up our task packages

In message <[🔎] 20001207004512.Z24953@visi.net>, Ben Collins writes:

>> Which doesn't include some very important tasks (task-web-server
>> and task-programming come to mind), but is a large improvment from
>> what we have now. And almost even fits on one screen.
>>

>Maybe we need a way to define subtasks so we get output like:
>
> [ ] LDAP			: LDAP libraries, server and clients
>     [ ] LDAP Devel		: LDAP Development libraries
>     [ ] LDAP Server		: LDAP Server
>     [ ] LDAP Tools		: LDAP Utilities
>     [ ] LDAP Name Service	: LDAP NSS and PAM for Name Service
>
>Makes much more sense. Tasksel could unfold only when asked to do so, like
>when a user is really interested in the tasks specifics, or they want only
>certian portions of a task.
>
>Of course, this requires the tasksel author agreeing to implement
>something like this :)

This reminds me a lot of the kernel configuration... IMO this makes a lot of sense since you have a high level selection and them if you care a finer grain.  Just having one level IMO is not enough; you're going from 4000 packages or so to 30 items and that's not going to cover what it needs to, so a second level (i.e. each task can have  up to say 10 subtasks) would let us have three order of magnitude selections and would work well.  Plus, if the system is well implemented (read: the interface) then sub-sub tasks become possible and you can really easily configure your system with a lot of flexibility.

Nils.