Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:

> pkg_add -r gcc on a freebsd box will pull down a binary of gcc without a
> copy of the GPL.

Perhaps I'm confused, but I thought the normal procedure was the
"ports" mechanism, which pulls down source and compiles it locally.
If it's actually more like the way Debian or Red Hat do it, then
certainly the same issue applies there.

However, it's the case that RMS is mostly ignorant of how things like
big OS distributions are structured; you shouldn't assume that he's
been aware of things all along and woke up in late November and
decided to mail Wichert.  I think it probably first came to his
attention last month with respect to Debian (because that's what the
FSF uses itself of course) and he doesn't know that the same thing
applies in other systems.

Feel free to tell him; you probably know those details more than I do.

Thomas