Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On 2 Dec 2000, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:
>
> > Lawyers are involved?  This makes it imperitive that no change ever get
> > off the ground ATM.  Compromising around a lawyer is like bleeding around
> > a shark: you don't do it twice.
>
> I have no idea what "ATM" means.

At This Moment

> I know a Randroid might think all lawyers are the same, but amazingly,
> they are not.

Ahhh!  Out of logical refutation, you fall to the last refuge of the
incompetent: personal attacks.

> I thought it should be obvious that the GPL was drafted by attorneys,
> and of course, complicated legal questions should be addressed with
> the assistance of those who are experts in the law.

Lawyers or experts in law?  IME the sets have only the most passing of
acquaintances.

> The FSF's usual counsel is a law professor who donates his time; he's
> not some corporate stooge only concerned for money.  What else would
> you think?  And he works for the FSF, not the other way round.

I swear that the Bar exams are ethicsectomies.  But I will admit to the
hypothetical of an ethical lawyer somewhere...  The laws of chance
have produced far stranger things...

> And, I can certainly affirm, RMS makes up his own mind.  No lawyer
> ever could make it up for him.  Does he strike you as the sort of
> person to just do whatever a lawyer says?  In any case, the reason
> he's asking them is because I mentioned to him some cases and
> questions people were asking here, and some of them represented issues
> he had not considered, so he thought he should ask them what they
> think.  Exactly how to interpret licenses is a *legal* question, after
> all.

We seem to do the job without lawyers...save a certain group of
net.lawyers that sometimes includes yours truly...