Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > > Certainly it's not necessary, as has been pointed out a jillion times
> > > already in this thread.  We could very easily make sure the GPL is in
> > > all the relevant .debs and yet not need to install a jillion copies on
> > > the user's disk...(elllipsis added)
> >
> > ...just have a jillion copies in the archives.
>
> As there already are in the source archive.

Where they are unambiguously required to be, and are but another text file
in an archive full of text files.

> >  Now multiply that by the ~18K that
> > /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL takes.
>
> Compressed it is a third of this. All in all it would make about 12 MB per

That's 3 copies of libc6 or slightly less than 1000 copies of
base-passwd.  Matter of fact, that 12 MB could be saved by removing the
GNU flagship, emacs.

> architecture, two thousand additional copies of the GPL assumed. What a deal.
> Or <nr of ports>/1000000 of the full archive. What a deal.

One byte for politics is too much.

--
The Internet must be a medium for it is neither Rare nor Well done!