Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

Okay, so what's the problem with all gpl'd packages Depending on a package
called 'license-gpl' ?

That way, even dpkg would warn on a --install that license-gpl was
suppossed to be installed as well, which counts, IMO, as accompanying all
gpl'd programs with the GPL itself.

It's horribly ugly as far as the control file goes, but once license-gpl
is installed, (which would be by default in the base sysstem anyway), it
would be transparent to the user, and they'd not notice.

There's still the problem of non-debian users ar x'ing the package, or
aliening it, but i don't see how that can be avoided except by actually
including the gpl, which, as I've pointed out before, is a horrendous
waste of space.

However, if the non-deb user is doing it, they are still able to (and
should be) looking at the dependencies.

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Brian Frederick Kimball wrote:
> At 07:09 am -0500 on November 30, 2000, Brian Mays wrote:
> > tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:
> > > However, Debian is in a different position, and the problem is that
> > > people can and do pull .debs off the Debian site and install them on
> > > other distros.  The license really does require that we give them a
> > > copy of the GPL, and that's a reasonable requirement.
> >
> > We do give them a copy of the GPL.  Its up to them to take it.
>
> I still don't think "making available" is the same as "giving".

   < <"What Am I Doing? I'm Quietly Judging You." --Frank TJ Mackey> >
  <         <Rando Christensen / An illuzion worth believing>         >
 <  <illuzionz@xanthor.net>  <eyez@xanthor.net>  <eyez@fragments.net>  >