Re: [PROPOSAL] Full text of GPL must be included

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Seth Arnold wrote:

> * Rando Christensen <illuzion@xanthor.net> [001129 21:27]:
> > What I would most like to see myself is adding a /etc/licensing/
> > directory in which every license used on the system can esist, for
> > example:
> >
> > /etc/licensing/
> >         \-- GPL
> >         \-- BSD
> >         \-- Other
>
> $ cd /usr/share/common-licenses
> $ ls -l
> total 88
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         6111 Dec 15  1996 Artistic
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1499 Aug 26  1999 BSD
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        17992 Sep 16  1999 GPL
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Nov 12 19:12 LGPL -> LGPL-2.1
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        25284 Feb  2  2000 LGPL-2
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        26532 Jul  7  1999 LGPL-2.1
>
> Perhaps you could file wishlist bugreports against base-files if you
> wish this directory moved, or new licenses added to it (such as the X
> license, mpl, scsl(sp?), qt, etc..).

Well, I don't care where they throw them. I think that ALL licenses should
have a copy there, not just 'common' ones. I just don't think that we
should have to have An entire copy of the GPL for each installed package
that is Under the GPL. That seems WAY wasteful to me. Perhaps, making dpkg
not INSTALL the license umless it doesn't exist in whatever directory it's
in.

   <         <What Am I Doing? I'm Quietly Judging You.>         >
  <                      <Rando Christensen>                      >
 < <illuzionz@xanthor.net> <eyez@xanthor.net> <eyez@fragments.net> >