Re: New field proposed, UUID

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> That would be bad. Do that and then the Packages file needs regenerating,
> the package needs to be re-signed by everyone, and things will get upgraded,
> and apt[1] will redownload it all over again, just because of something
> changing like an internal signature by the archive maintainer (think
> signing all packages for a release).

Er, why would you crank the version number if you add a signature?

(I'll defer using loud words to explain why adding signatures like that
 never happen until you actually make a proposal..)

> This also gives us another good reason for UUID's. We can now have a
> mechanism to do binary-only uploads for ports, without changing the

Er no. Not unless your `UUIDS' are strictly ordered and increasing with
time. Then all they are is a version component that is not shown.

Jason