doc-section madness

Hi all,

	I think this is the right place for asking change on policy
about doc-base registering of package.

AFAIK there's no policy in right section where to put documentation,
futhermore there's no hint too. What result is an incoerent
organization of document that make it the need of a search tool, while
in some situation it can't be used (i don't know how a document is
described or just i want to browse arround).

Now, I'm sorry to be unable of proposing such a policy while I'm not a
debian developer and I've not the view of a whole debian system. So I
just want to know if someone have discuss it before and/or someone can
propose some kind of policy on this issue.

In my taste, documentation is very very very important (in some
scenarious it cause the choice of a whole distro). Actually debian is
at this time the best documented distros, but having that lack with
the grow of desktop application man page will become more useless
(e.g. glib and gtk have no man page). Man page are structured in
section (often 1,...8 (9) 1x .. ) so there is a very poor
organitation, but having a terminal interface make it clean for user;
doc-base should have a better structure.

example: when i look for function printf I simply hit `man 3 printf`
for choice linux programmer manual. When i look for documentation in
gtk I've to browse 3 or more section, while i'm looking only for
programming interface of the library.

I think that a policy on this field make my (and other) life easy.

I'm not a developer, and not subscribed to debian-policy list, cc a
possible reply to me, thank you.

Daniele

--
Daniele Cruciani <cruciani@cli.di.unipi.it>